Projects per year
I have more than 15 years of experience in Fermentation technologies and Eco-Engineering of microbial consortia for the conversion of waste streams into biofuels, green chemicals and biopolymers, following a Biorefinery concept.My overall research interest is within the development of Defined Mixed Consortia and Process Optimization. Moreover, I have a strong focus on the biodegradation of recalcitrant compounds such as pesticides and plastics.
01/08/2017 - Associate Professor of Fermentation Technology at the Section for Sustainable Biotechnology, Aalborg University of Copenhagen (AAU-Cph).
06/2015-10/2017 Post-doc in Fermentation Biotechnology at the Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Department, Center for Bioprocess Engineering, DTU.
01/2014-06/2015 Post-doc in Fermentation Biotechnology at the Section for Sustainable Biotechnology, Aalborg University of Copenhagen.
08/2013-07/2014 Sapienza University Research Fellowship: “Experimental assessment of a bioelectrochemical process for nitrogen removal from anaerobic digestion residues and agro-zootechnical sluges”. Lab of Technology and Applied Chemistry for Environment protection. Dept. of Chemical Engineering, Materials and Environment. Rome
02-06/2013 Temporary employment at InBio Consortium for Innovation and Bioeconomy (ENEA Spin Off Incubator)
08/2012-01/2013 ENEA External Collaborator for the preparation of EU project proposals and bilateral agreements
06/2010 – 07/2012 ENEA Research Fellowship for the ItalianNational Project “MAREA”: Realization of a two-stage pilot-scale prototype for the production of hydrogen and methane from agricultural wastes
04/2009-04/2011 Visiting Researcher at the Harbin Institute of Technology, for the EU Science and Technology Fellowship Programme China (STF), supported by the FP7, including 6 months language and intercultural training organized by the EU Delegation to China.
10/2006 – 06/2010 ENEA Research Fellowship: “Biogeochemical methods and characterization of organic matter”. National Project: “Innovative systems for hydrogen production”
08-09/2006 Research Internship at ENEA (lab of Environm. Biotech) for the FISR ItalianNational Project: “Innovative systems for hydrogen production”
05– 07/2006 Temporary employment at Ylichron (ENEA Spin-Off Company): research project “Multivariate Data Analysis on DGGE profiles of marine sediment samples”
05/2004 – 05/2006 ENEA post-graduate Research Scholarship: “Methods for the classification of the chemical and ecological quality state of waters; Subproject: "The use of sediments for assessing transition water quality: correlation between physical, chemical and biological tests"
06/2013 Best ProjectAward at the Sahyog Summerschool (FP7 project) “for the best Biomass-to-bioenergy/bioproducts project proposal”. 9-16 June 2013, Bioresource Technology Unit of the National Technical University of Athens.
06/2012 Young researcher Award at the 20th EU Biomass Conference 2012, in recognition of the “high level of achievement and contribution to his field of research”.
06/2010 Awarded with the “Distinguished International Students Scholarship” by the China Scholarship Council of the Ministry of Education of P. R. China (MOE).
12/2008 Awarded with the EU STF Individual Fellowship (FP7: 127024/L/ACT/CN, STF/40); 2009-2011.
Patents Crude glycerol fermenting process for the production of ethanol and hydrogen; Inventor: Cristiano Varrone. Patent application number: RM2011A000480; Applying data: 13/09/2011. IPC INV.C12P1/04,C12P3/00, C12P7/08 C12P7/14,C12N1/00,C12N1/36. Link: http://brevetti.enea.it/tabella.php; (ENEA Patent Nr. 735). International application no. PCT/IT 2012/000281, date 12/09/2012, published the 21/03/2013 (WO2013/038435).
- Coordinator of the H2020 BIOTECH09 project UPLIFT (953073) for the development of Plastic Biorefineries and the bio-upcycling of plastic waste (2021-2025);
- WP leader and member of Steering Committee and Management Board for the Erasmus+ project ITACA (WP on bioremediation)
- Appointed HSE Responsible for lab safety and risk assessments
- Project leader of an EUopSTART Grant by the Danish Ministry of Higher Education and Science for the project proposal "Process intensification and upscale of combined hydrogen and ethanol production from biodiesel-derived glycerol".
- Member of the Advisory Board and Quality Assurance Committee of a large European PF7 Cooperation KBBE 2013 project with 15 partners, about the valorisation of crude glycerol into value-added products: “GRAIL - Glycerol bioRefiney Approach for the production of high quality products of Industrial value”.
- Scientific Coordinator of WP2 (Glycerol-to-Biofuels) of GRAIL, in support of the WP leader.
- Project leader of the China-Italy bilateral agreement 2013-2015 (Staff Exchange), for the project: Optimized bioconversion of crude glycerol into hydrogen and ethanol using Geo-Chip and coupling with MEC.
- Member of the Advisory Board of Ce.R.T.A, the Italian Regional Centres for Agri-Technology (www.certa.it), for the promotion of new business activities of high scientific and technological content in South Italy.
- Responsible of the FP7-funded EuropAid project on “Linking hydrogen and biodiesel production: anaerobic fermentation of glycerol”. (Cont. No. EuropeAid/127024/L/ACT/CN, STF/40).
- Evaluator of EU H2020 proposals
- Executive Board Member (Research Director) of NESSE: Network of Early-Career Sustainable Scientists & Engineers. http://www.sustainablescientists.org.
- Member of the European Enterprise Network: Bioconversion of biodiesel-derived crude glycerol into hydrogen and ethanol (12 IT 56Z7 3PF3). http://portal.enterprise-europenetwork.ec.europa.eu/services/ technology-transfer.
- Invited Expert at the Workshop for the German National Innovation Programme NIP, organized by the German National Organization for Hydrogen and Fuel Cells NOW and the German National Biomass Research Center DBFZ; September 21, 2011; Berlin.
- Invited Expert for a course on the topic “glycerol bioconversion technologies” at the University of Valparaiso and member ofthe MSc Eng Thesis Dissertation Evaluation Committee.
- Supervision of Master and PhD students, ENEA Interns, and Chairperson of PhD Defence at DTU.
- Lecturer at the Sino-Italian Sustainable Development Community (www.sdcommunity.org/cb-mandatory/ userprofile/varrone_cristiano), for the advanced training programme on Sustainable Development of the Italian Ministry IMELS.
- Lecturer at the Italian Confederation of Agriculture (CIA) for the post-graduate training courses on Anaerobic Digestion management.
- Chairman of the session Biomass and biological hydrogen productionat the International Conference on Hydrogen Production (ICH2P-11), Thessaloniki, Greece. 19-22 June 2011.
LIST OF PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
- UPLIFT – Sustainable plastics for the food and drink packaging industry (H2020, project nr. 953073)
- ITACA – innovative training center to support a 3rd cycle advanced education course to face environmental emergency in Azerbaijan - Erasmus+ (609758-epp-1-2019-1-it-eppka2-cbhe-jp)
- AQUACOWI – Wastewater organic waste treatment facilities: net green energy, nutrients and bioproducts producers (COWI Fonden: Pro-ject No: A089475); 2018-2020.
- DISRUPT- Coupling plastic-DepolymerISation and polyols feRmentation for the prodUction of bio-based Polymers and bioplasTics - EUopSTART Grant (2019).
- GRAIL – Glycerol bioRefiney Approach for the production of high quality products of Industrial value – EU FP7 funded Cooperation KBBE 2013-2017 (No 613667)
- ENAMA project – Experimental assessment of a bioelectrochemical process for nitrogen removal from AD residues and sluges - Italian National Agency for Agricultural Mechanization (2013-2014).
- China-Italy bilateral agreement 2013-2015 – Optimized bioconversion of crude glycerol into hydrogen and ethanol using Geo-Chip and coupling with MEC – Financed by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology (project code CN13MO8)
- STF China – Linking hydrogen and biodiesel production: anaerobic fermentation of glycerol– EU FP7-funded EuropAid project ( Cont. No. EuropeAid/127024/L/ACT/CN, STF/40); 2009-2011.
- METISOL – Bioproduction of hythane (H2 and CH4 mixture) for motor vehicles supply – funded by the Italian Ministry of Environment
- MAREA – Valorization of livestock manure, realization of a two-stage pilot scale prototype for the production of hydrogen coupled with methane – project funded by the Italian Ministry of Agriculture
- ADP – Enhanced biogas production from organic waste and substrate degradation by optimization of hydrogen production phase –Program Agreement between the Italian Ministry of Economic Development and ENEA
- IDROBIO – Innovative systems for hydrogen production from organic sources – Integrated Special Fund for Research FISR (2006-2009).
- APAT project– Methods for the classification of the chemical and ecological quality state of waters for the implementation of the Water Framework Directive 2060; Subproject: "The use of sediments for assessing water quality" – Italian Ministry of Environment (2004-2006).
SCIENTIFIC FOCUS AREAS
1) Fermentation Technologies
2) Eco-engineering of Mixed Microbial Cultures
3) Glycerol Biorefinery
4) Second Generation Biofuels and Green Chemicals
5) Statistical optimization of process parameters
6) Biodegradation of plastics and pesticides
Supervision of Clara Fernando Foncillas' PhD, in the frame of the project “Wastewater and Organic Waste Treatment Facilities – Net Green Energy, Nutrients and Bioproducts Producers” (Project No: A089475),
Appointed HSE Representative at the Section for Sustainable Biotechnology
Environmental Engineering and Sciences, PhD, Harbin Institute of Technology
Sep 2010 → 19 Jan 2015
Award Date: 28 Apr 2015
Natural Sciences, Master of Sciences, University of Rome La Sapienza
1997 → 2003
Award Date: 2 Oct 2003
- Chemistry and Bioscience
- Fermentation technology
- Plastic biodegradation
- Plastic Biorefinery
- Green Chemicals
- Waste valorization
- Bioprocess technology
ITACA – Innovative training center to support a 3rd cycle advanced education course to face environmental emergency in Azerbaijan
01/09/2019 → 31/08/2022
01/02/2021 → 31/01/2025
Wastewater organic waste treatment facilities: net green energy, nutrients and bioproducts producers (COWI FONDEN: PRO-JECT NO: A089475)
01/08/2018 → 31/07/2020
01/11/2013 → 31/10/2017
Highly selective recovery of medium chain carboxylates from co-fermented organic wastes using anion exchange with carbon dioxide expanded methanol desorptionVarrone, C., Foncillas, C. F., Cabrera Rodriguez, C., Caparros Salvador, F. & Straathof, A., Jan 2021, In : Bioresource Technology. 319, 124178.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Journal article › Research › peer-review
Bioremediation of the herbicide Dicamba utilizing pure cultures and microbial consortia associated with biological control against the fungal pathogen Fusarium culmorum (Oral Presentation).Vlaiculescu, A. & Varrone, C., Dec 2020, Bioremediation of the herbicide Dicamba utilizing pure cultures and microbial consortia associated with biological control against the fungal pathogen Fusarium culmorum: Environmental Safety: Microbial Pesticide Degradation. p. 180-181 2 p.
Research output: Contribution to book/anthology/report/conference proceeding › Conference abstract in proceeding › Research › peer-review
Enhanced Acetogenesis of Waste Activated Sludge by Conditioning with Processed Organic Wastes in Co-Fermentation: Kinetics, Performance and Microbial ResponseZhang, Y., Sun, R., Varrone, C., Wei, Y., Shyryn, A., Zhou, A. & Zhang, J., 14 Jul 2020, In : Energies. 13, 14, 14 p., 3630.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Journal article › Research › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
New insight into waste activated sludge acetogenesis triggered by coupling sulfite/ferrate oxidation with sulfate reduction-mediated syntrophic consortiaZhou, A., Liu, H., Varrone, C., Shyryn, A., Defemur, Z., Wang, S., Liu, W. & Yue, X., 15 Jun 2020, In : Chemical Engineering Journal. 400, 125885.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Journal article › Research › peer-review
Varrone, C. & Jensen, B., Nov 2019.
Research output: Contribution to conference without publisher/journal › Poster › Research › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
1 Media contribution
Press/Media: Press / Media
1 item of Media coverage
Press/Media: Press / Media