Regulation on carbon emissions for buildings with special conditions: analysis, calculation model and stakeholder perspectives

Research output: Contribution to journalConference article in JournalResearchpeer-review

5 Downloads (Pure)

Abstract

Climate change enhances the focus on reducing global greenhouse gases from the construction industry since it is responsible for 37% of the emissions. Several nations are implementing regulating laws by requiring life cycle assessments and by setting a threshold of CO2e emissions. In the case of Denmark, the valid limit value of 12 kg CO2e/m2/year is based primarily on a sample of conventional buildings consisting of residential and office buildings. Initially, 90% of all new buildings are expected to comply with this value, while the remaining 10% must apply strategies for carbon reduction. Some building typologies that need to serve specific functions might not be able to reduce emissions due to special conditions, which will result in additional carbon emissions, and thus, exceed the limit value. This study identifies special conditions, such as hygiene requirements, that can lead to exceeding the limit value and recommends adaptation to handle the allowable additional carbon emissions in building regulations. The findings of the study are useful for policymakers that must decide how to handle special conditions of buildings in regulations.
Original languageEnglish
Article number152011
Book seriesJournal of Physics: Conference Series
Volume2600
Issue number15
Number of pages6
ISSN1742-6596
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 4 Dec 2023
Event2023 International Conference on the Built Environment in Transition, CISBAT 2023 - EPFL, Hybrid, Lausanne, Switzerland
Duration: 13 Sept 202315 Sept 2023
https://cisbat.epfl.ch/index.html

Conference

Conference2023 International Conference on the Built Environment in Transition, CISBAT 2023
LocationEPFL
Country/TerritorySwitzerland
CityHybrid, Lausanne
Period13/09/202315/09/2023
SponsorSwiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne, Smart Living Lab, Swiss Federal Office of Energy (SFOE)
Internet address

Keywords

  • Carbon emission
  • Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
  • Limit value
  • Regulations
  • Special conditions

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Regulation on carbon emissions for buildings with special conditions: analysis, calculation model and stakeholder perspectives'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this